Re: How to add support for mounting encrypted volumes?

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 19:57, Steffen Röcker wrote:
> I am currently writing a patch for gnome-vfs to enable mounting of
> encrypted volumes.
>
> Crypto-Loop and AES-Loop volumes can be mounted easily with patched
> versions of util-linux, but not with gnome-vfs/nautilus. (See bug #130356)
>
> With some help by Fernando Herrera (gnome-love rocks :) I wrote a little
> test application that implements gnome_vfs_drive_mount with password
> support (see attached file), but now I don't know how to integrate this
> into gnome-vfs.
>
> Should I ask for the password in gnome_vfs_drive_mount or should I add
> gnome_vfs_drive_mount_with_password and let Nautils call that if the
> volume is encrypted?
> I already added a check for "encryption" in
> _gnome_vfs_get_unix_mount_table and planned to add a new device type
> called GNOME_VFS_DEVICE_TYPE_ENCRYPTED. Though I think it would be
> better if one keeps the device typ and only adds a flag "is_encrypted"
> so that you can later show the device type icon with a lock emblem.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Steffen

This won't be for 2.6 (we're in freeze mode), but the way to do this is
to use authentication callbacks. See how this is done in e.g. the smb
backend.

He's a benighted overambitious werewolf haunted by an iconic dead American
confidante She's a scantily clad hypochondriac cab driver living homeless in
New York's sewers. They fight crime!