Re: Few questions on gnome-vfs

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 20:32, Quentin Mathé wrote:

> > Well, appart from the vfs monikers, bonobo/orbit isn't really exposed
> > in
> > the API, so it could be replaced. However, that is a fair amount of
> > work, and until we decide that gnome can depend on e.g. dbus, we're not
> > gonna replace the use of ORBit for gnome-vfs daemon communication in
> > the
> > official gnome-vfs releases.
>
> Well, is there any plan currently to develop a Free Desktop related VFS
> because I have seen such discussion in September 2003. I would be
> interested to work on a basic VFS with a modular architecture to extend
> it, which would permit to have optional support for MIME, HAL etc. in
> extra libraries or plugins. Are you interested by such development for
> GNOME… And in the case such VFS would be developed, moving away from
> gnome-vfs is something that you would consider ?
> Do you think also, it would be possible for this VFS to be compatible
> in some way with gnome-vfs modules ?
> Well probably we should talk about that on xdg list… :-)

While it would be nice to have a common system, I know of nobody doing
one. Even if there was one we can't drop gnome-vfs, since we need to
keep backwards compatibility. Also, large chunks of gnome depends on
gnome-vfs APIs/behaviour, so replacing it would be a *lot* of work.

He's a suave ninja card sharp on the run. She's a supernatural junkie vampire
from a secret island of warrior women. They fight crime!