Re: Few questions on gnome-vfs

Le 26 août 04, à 14:27, Alexander Larsson a écrit :

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 09:13, Quentin Mathé wrote:

I plan to use gnome-vfs as a VFS backend in a GNUstep based desktop
environment. Well to do that, I would like to get rid of the libbonobo
dependency which induces many extra dependencies, and has no utility in
my case. I have seen that the gnome-vfs daemon is where libbonobo is
essentially used, but I don't understand what this daemon is useful for
and what I will lost if I remove it, I haven't been able to find any
documentation on it… ?

Its used by some methods such as smb to share connections between
processes and to get a known environment so that it can use things like
the glib mainloop. It is also where the gnome-vfs volume handling is
done so that not every process needs to handle this.

In the future we're likely to use it even more.

ok, I see. I will take a look at the code more deeply to understand better how it is used.

Well, appart from the vfs monikers, bonobo/orbit isn't really exposed in
the API, so it could be replaced. However, that is a fair amount of
work, and until we decide that gnome can depend on e.g. dbus, we're not
gonna replace the use of ORBit for gnome-vfs daemon communication in the
official gnome-vfs releases.

Well, is there any plan currently to develop a Free Desktop related VFS because I have seen such discussion in September 2003. I would be interested to work on a basic VFS with a modular architecture to extend it, which would permit to have optional support for MIME, HAL etc. in extra libraries or plugins. Are you interested by such development for GNOME… And in the case such VFS would be developed, moving away from gnome-vfs is something that you would consider ? Do you think also, it would be possible for this VFS to be compatible in some way with gnome-vfs modules ?
Well probably we should talk about that on xdg list… :-)

Thanks,
Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé