RE: I was wondering if gnome-vfs supports scp

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 12:11, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> History: Kristof asked this because both he and me are interested in
> getting it supported.
>
> After some investigation we figured it does support the sftp method but
> not scp (old-style ssh1). With some minor modifications, backporting and
> using the sources of WinSCP to get stuff like the directory-listing we
> think, however, that scp could be supported. (WinSCP is an opensource
> Win32 product, but I have to check it's license to know whether or not
> developers are permitted to do this)
>
> The question is, is it worth the effort?

I personally don't think so. People running ssh1 servers should upgrade
anyway. Aren't they considered unsecure now? ssh.com says:

You can also connect to Secure Shell protocol version 1 (SSH1) servers.
With the SSH1 Connections selection you can allow SSH1 connections,
deny them, or issue a warning when connecting to a remote host computer
that is using version 1 of the Secure Shell protocol.
Secure Shell protocol version 2 (SSH2) is a more advanced and secure
protocol than the legacy version SSH1. SSH Communications Security
considers the SSH1 protocol deprecated and does not recommend its use
anymore.

We used to have an ssh:// method that did nasty things like parsing ls
output and using cat to read/write files, but it was removed and aliased
to the sftp method because it was slow, unstable and generally much
worse than sftp.

> I do think, however, this module should check the server for sftp-
> support and warn the user about the availability of sftp.
>
> That way typing "scp://username host" where host is a ssh2-server would
> give the user a warning like: "You are trying to access a secured server
> using an older protocol. It's highly recommended that you use
> sftp://username host in stead of the scp-protocol for this action." and
> then of course the "[ ] Always show this warning"-checkbox.

vfs methods can't do anything like this. They are non-gui backends
behind a posix-like file interface.

He's an all-American bohemian hairdresser from a doomed world. She's a
cold-hearted hip-hop opera singer with an MBA from Harvard. They fight crime!