RE: I was wondering if gnome-vfs supports scp

History: Kristof asked this because both he and me are interested in
getting it supported.

After some investigation we figured it does support the sftp method but
not scp (old-style ssh1). With some minor modifications, backporting and
using the sources of WinSCP to get stuff like the directory-listing we
think, however, that scp could be supported. (WinSCP is an opensource
Win32 product, but I have to check it's license to know whether or not
developers are permitted to do this)

The question is, is it worth the effort?

I do think, however, this module should check the server for sftp-
support and warn the user about the availability of sftp.

That way typing "scp://username host" where host is a ssh2-server would
give the user a warning like: "You are trying to access a secured server
using an older protocol. It's highly recommended that you use
sftp://username host in stead of the scp-protocol for this action." and
then of course the "[ ] Always show this warning"-checkbox.

So ... What do the current gnome-vfs developers think?

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org