Re: tls-ftp and GConf

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 17:30, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 07:16, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 12:20, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > Furthermore, i'd like to point out that usage of gconf in vfs modules is
> > > very tricky, due to the fact that gconf is not threadsafe, and vfs
> > > modules are highly threaded.
> >
> > 	That's going to need fixing since the evolution addressbook interfaces
> > seem to be heavily base on GConf, and we have to be able to use them in
> > a thread-safe way inside OO.o.
> >
> > 	Since Ettore decided to use G/Conf, and promised me a thread-safe API -
> > I was hoping that he'd be doing that ;-) ultimately it shouldn't be
> > _that_ difficult I think - mostly just protecting the local cache access
> > with a global lock (you would imagine).
>
> I am afraid I am missing some context here (I am not on the gnome-vfs
> mailing list).  :-)  What are you guys trying to do with GNOME VFS and
> the new Evolution backend APIs?

The context was just that I pointed out that using GConf in a vfs module
is tricky due to the threadsafety issues, and michael said you planned
to make gconf threadsafe.

> (The way the new APIs work, you only use GConf to retrieve the list of
> URIs for the calendars/addressbooks.  Once you have the URIs, you can
> use the actual backend API, which is thread safe.)

Similarily its not impossible to handle gconf in vfs-modules. What you
have to do is read the config values on startup to local globals
protected with a lock. Then set up gconf "monitors" on the keys you need
and make the handlers for those (that run on the main thread) set the
local globals (under the lock).

He's an immortal umbrella-wielding photographer who must take medication to
keep him sane. She's an orphaned African-American snake charmer with an MBA
from Harvard. They fight crime!