Re: tls-ftp and GConf

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 07:16, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 12:20, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Furthermore, i'd like to point out that usage of gconf in vfs modules is
> > very tricky, due to the fact that gconf is not threadsafe, and vfs
> > modules are highly threaded.
>
> 	That's going to need fixing since the evolution addressbook interfaces
> seem to be heavily base on GConf, and we have to be able to use them in
> a thread-safe way inside OO.o.
>
> 	Since Ettore decided to use G/Conf, and promised me a thread-safe API -
> I was hoping that he'd be doing that ;-) ultimately it shouldn't be
> _that_ difficult I think - mostly just protecting the local cache access
> with a global lock (you would imagine).

I am afraid I am missing some context here (I am not on the gnome-vfs
mailing list).  :-)  What are you guys trying to do with GNOME VFS and
the new Evolution backend APIs?

(The way the new APIs work, you only use GConf to retrieve the list of
URIs for the calendars/addressbooks.  Once you have the URIs, you can
use the actual backend API, which is thread safe.)

-- Ettore