Re: Opening aarchives as virtual folders.

On Tue, 6 May 2003, dani brody wrote:

> >yep, if you use an uri like
> >file:///home/user/somefile.tar.gz#gzip:#tar:/ things should work (if you
> >want to experiment with that, use the test-directory program which comes
> >with gnome-vfs source - you need to use an absolute path with
> >test-directory if you don't wat to get a segfault). Typing such an uri
> >in Nautilus is supposed to work, but there are a few issues, the main
> >one to be aware of is that you can't browse the root directory of the
> >archive that way, so your uri needs to end with #gzip:#tar:/some/dir.
>
> Well I havnt been able to test it as everything I try with the test programs
> fail so I'll have ot take your word for it ;) (ill try again later)
>
> Basicly, my program needs to be able to search through a bunch of files for
> certian information (very simmilar to a regular find program). Yet, my
> program needs to have the 'theoretical' ability of searching in 'virtal
> folders' of archives. (theoretical meaning not that it HAS too, but this is
> somthing that I would really like to expand to...) Also, I dont want to
> hardcore into my program what mimetypes have plugins, and so forth.

There *is* data for this in the mime database. This whole thing is just
not fully finished, so nobody uses it yet.

He's a scarfaced amnesiac rock star on the hunt for the last specimen of a
great and near-mythical creature. She's a plucky goth vampire who don't take
no shit from nobody. They fight crime!