Re: SFTP method for GNOME VFS

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 05:28, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2003, Bradford Hovinen wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > I just recently wrote up an sftp method for GNOME VFS and put a tarball
> > up at
> >
> > http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bghovinen/gnome-vfs-sftp-0.1.0.tar.gz
> >
> > I've tested it a bit with Nautilus and found that it mostly works quite
> > well, though I still run into occasional bugs.
> >
> > It would be great if this could be included in gnome-vfs or
> > gnome-vfs-extras at some point, though I would certainly understand the
> > desire to wait until after the GNOME 2.2 release.
>
> It looks interesting yes. Although i would more like to see yakk finish
> libssh so we can use that instead of forking ssh processes.

I'm not entirely familiar with this work, though I did notice a private
library in OpenSSH with that name. Is the latter meant to be an
embryonic version?

Do you know what the time frame for libssh is? If its completion is a
long way off, it might still be best to include my work, at least as an
intermediary. Also, do you know whether the library will include direct
support for the sftp protocol? If not, then the code I wrote can be used
with little modification.

I certainly agree that it would be better not to fork an instance of
ssh, since doing so complicates error reporting mechanisms. Currently,
however, the sftp client included in OpenSSH works in this manner, so
there appears to be no better option at present.

--
Bradford Hovinen              http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bghovinen/
School of Computer Science    Email:  bghovinen math uwaterloo ca