Re: Gnome-VFS access applications?

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Jan Kratochvil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What are the available user-accessible clients for Gnome-VFS?
>
> Up to now I use 'test-xfer' and 'test-shell' from test/ directory of gnome-vfs2
> sources but this is not much user friendly.

There is:
http://www.hadess.net/files/stuff/gnome-vfs-cli-utils/
which hadess wrote.

> As there exists UserVFS
> 	http://uservfs.sourceforge.net/
>
> to map userland VFS as accessible kernel filesystem (by providing local Coda
> server) I made a quick&dirty hack to port this UserVFS from its original
> Midnight Commander VFS library to Gnome-VFS-2.0:
> 	http://cvs.jankratochvil.net/viewcvs/priv/uservfs/?only_with_tag=lace
> 	cvs -d :pserver:pserver:@cvs.jankratochvil.net:/cvs -z3 checkout -d uservfs -kk -r lace priv/uservfs
>
> nautilus-2.2.1-4 will not even display a directory of file:///1.tar#tar:dir/
> although 'test-shell' will display it; despite it file:///1.tar#tar:/ still
> does not display even by 'test-shell'.

Yes. There are lots of problems with the tar method and chained methods in
general. This code is not well tested and doesn't work well.

> Should I port UserVFS for real or is there some other nice Gnome-VFS access
> interface?

I don't understande exactly what you want. nautilus or any gnome app that
supports gnome-vfs should be a good enough interface. Interfacing
gnome-vfs into the kernel vfs sounds like a horrible idea, fraught with
races and semantical problems.

He's a notorious hunchbacked boxer searching for his wife's true killer. She's
a tortured French-Canadian college professor from a secret island of warrior
women. They fight crime!