Re: making FAM a required dependency

Hi Ian,

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 23:59, Ian McKellar wrote:
> The answers to these questions these and more lie in...
>         The Twilight Zone.

	:-)

> I think someone just needs to check in a skeleton server that has a
> sensible life-cycle, locking, etc and provides some private convenience
> APIs in libgnomevfs for calling methods in it and recieving callbacks.

	Ok - so; I've checked in the daemon with the crucial lifecycle stuff on
the 'daemon' branch of gnome-vfs [ in daemon/ ]. To satisfy yourself
that it is working run 'vfs-client' and either kill it during the sleep
(C-c) or just let it quit cleanly. Both cases are handled. There is one
further 'activated but crashed before registering' case that needs
handling - but that's a trivial timeout - and clearly the daemon needs a
better heuristic than immediately quitting when it's clients die :-)

	In addition to the registration bits, I added a 'setPassword',
'getPassword' method pair - and a 'doSomething' on the client - so
people can see how it goes.

	All in all it's 270 ';'s of code ;-)

	HTH,

		Michael.