Re: GnomeVFS ioctls, live metadata and dead metadata

Oops - I replied just to Alex last time...

On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 11:34 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Ian McKellar wrote:

BeOS's ability to present the attributes of files through their file
manager was pretty cool. This was just for their dead metadata, but it
would make sense to me to do it with live metadata too. If someone
writes a plugin that extracts id3 information then the Nautilus list
view could know how to sort by artist. If someone writes a msword
metadata extractor then Nautilus' list view could know how to sort by
author. I don't think this API really belongs in a VFS layer though.

It could be pretty slow to...

It shouldn't be if we use a dead metadata layer to cache it - and we can make that layer fast enough...

Ian