Re: GnomeVFS ioctls, live metadata and dead metadata

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 05:00, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 19:34, Ian McKellar wrote:
>
> >   * posix file metadata - size/name/permissions - the stuff we get back
> > from stat and put into a GnomeVFSFileInfo
>
> And it's probably useful to note that at least on GNU/Linux, extended
> attributes (a la XFS) will become standard soon enough.  These are
> arbitrary key/value pairs, stored in a separate data stream by the
> filesystem.  We'll definitely want nautilus to be able to get/set these
> (and along the way add ACL support to nautilus).

There's been that other guy (yours truly) who wanted to do right that,
but kinda got distracted by other things and lack of time.

The last things I've been thinking about was how to cope with different
user/group concepts, how to retrieve lists of users/groups, etc. and
somehow got a bit overwhelmed by the prospect of what there really need
to be done. If it where done properly that is -- but maybe I only
overlooked a way how things could be done much more simple. I don't know
and few people commented on what I proposed.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647