Re: ioctls for gnome-vfs

Hi,

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 14:51, Alex Graveley wrote:
> I want have gnome_vfs_file_control() take a GValue* instead of a
> gpointer, and add a gnome_vfs_file_control_query() which returns a
> GParamSpec* for the named control.  This will add a
> GnomeVFSMethodFileControlQueryFunc to GnomeVFSMethod.
>
> I'll whip this up if nobody starts yelling.

Okay, on second thought, I want to drop the file control API
altogether.  We should be using the file metadata API for this.  The
metadata api that is commited today is a toy and either needs to be
removed, or renovated.  I suggest renovation...

I would like to have this API for metadata:

gboolean gnome_vfs_get_metadata (gchar *uri,
				 gchar *meta_name,
				 GValue **out,
				 GError **error);
gboolean gnome_vfs_set_metadata (gchar *uri,
				 gchar *meta_name,
				 GValue *in,
				 GError **error);
GParamSpec *gnome_vfs_query_metadata (gchar *uri,
				      gchar *meta_name);

In addition to the above, there should be get_uri_metadata(),
set_uri_metadata(), query_uri_metadata() utilities which take a
GnomeVFSURI as the first parameter.

There should also be get_handle_metadata(), set_handle_metadata(), and
query_handle_metadata() variants which can be called on open handles.  I
see this being especially useful for http-like methods where there is a
dirth of variables to be set on a per-fetch basis.

What do you think?

-Alex

--
 on the canvass of life, incompetence is my paintbrush.