Re: NFS/AFS and is_local

Hi Malcolm,

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 02:02, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> This was a "fun" problem just before the 2.0.0 release when we suddenly
> realised that Nautilus would not run with NFS-mounted home directories

	:-) indeed.

> To fix the NFS-mounted /home problem, Michael put some stuff in eel.
> Have a look at eel/eel-vfs-extensions.[ch] and see if they can be used
> usefully (they are already used in places in Nautilus, as I indicated
> above).

	Yes; so the issue with this method is that it should be in gnome-vfs
itself; and we need a sane set of capabilities that can be tested.
Furthermore, we need some hackers way to tweak the set of URI's that
various things apply to.

	Anyway - the main thing I think is (perhaps) to expand the use of
eel_vfs_has_capabilities () - since it's a bit late in the day to be
folding in that level of API immaturity into gnome-vfs IMHO. I think we
should work out what set of functionality we want in there - and then
move it wholesale into gnome-vfs for 2.4.

	Some things that might be useful:

typedef enum {
	EEL_VFS_CAPABILITY_SAFE_TO_EXECUTE,
	EEL_VFS_CAPABILITY_IS_REMOTE_AND_SLOW
} EelVfsCapability;

gboolean  eel_vfs_has_capability  (const char           *text_uri,
				   EelVfsCapability      capability);

	I think (perhaps) it'd be better to abstract this somewhat further;
towards a 'performance' enumeration something like:

	FAST_LOCAL, FAST_REMOTE, SLOW_REMOTE

	or somesuch; either way it needs more thought; we'd then want some sort
of gconf stringv that would allow you to configure which paths / servers
are special case 'local', 'fast remote' etc.

	So; that'd be the future direction I hope - hack here ;-)

	Regards,

		Michael.