Re: ximian-smb branch merged

Hi,

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 04:21, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2002, Alex Graveley wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 12:26, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > I did not merge the change from desktop file links to directories, since
> > > that would mean we are no longer spec-compliant[1].
> >
> > Which part of the spec does this break?  You can still resolve URLS in
> > the form of smb://hostname/sharename/path, the addition is only the
> > ability to resolve smb:///workgroup/hostname/sharename/path in-situ
> > without being forwarded to the smb://hostname variant via a .desktop
> > file.
>
> So it doesn't really "break" the spec, only extend it a bit? The problem
> is that that uris typically generated while traversing the hierarchy would
> not be standards compliant, right? So if a user cut and pasted the uri,
> or drag and dropped files the accepting app might not be able to resolve
> the uri.

We are already extending the spec[1] by allowing domainname/hostname
browsing in the first place, since this is not detailed in the spec at
all.

The problem with .desktop forwarding is that in order for any
application to support browsing and opening of files from smb:, they
have to understand .desktop files and be able to follow the redirects.
Currently nothing except Nautilus does this.

> Its not like the .desktop links are in any way pretty, but they do serve a
> purpose.

Thats fine, but it means that I will have to maintain the ximian-smb
branch separately.  At least until we have a file-selector in Gnome that
follows .desktop links.

> > This cleans up the code quite a bit, and would be really nice to get
> > mainlined.
> >
> > However looking through the spec, I see that we don't support dotted
> > hostname -> NT domain mapping, or domain passed in the uri's authmech,
> > or any of the querystring keywords...
>
> Yeah. When I initially wrote smb-method an earlier draft was the current
> "standard". It would be nice to support more of this.

Do you know if they are making a new version?  Maybe we should get
involved so as to fix the issues with browsing.

-Alex

[1] - Which is in fact simply a draft, and one which expires in less
than a month at that.

--
 on the canvass of life, incompetence is my paintbrush.