Re: ximian-smb branch merged

On 13 Dec 2002, Alex Graveley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 12:26, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > I did not merge the change from desktop file links to directories, since
> > that would mean we are no longer spec-compliant[1].
>
> Which part of the spec does this break?  You can still resolve URLS in
> the form of smb://hostname/sharename/path, the addition is only the
> ability to resolve smb:///workgroup/hostname/sharename/path in-situ
> without being forwarded to the smb://hostname variant via a .desktop
> file.

So it doesn't really "break" the spec, only extend it a bit? The problem
is that that uris typically generated while traversing the hierarchy would
not be standards compliant, right? So if a user cut and pasted the uri,
or drag and dropped files the accepting app might not be able to resolve
the uri.

Its not like the .desktop links are in any way pretty, but they do serve a
purpose.

> This cleans up the code quite a bit, and would be really nice to get
> mainlined.
>
> However looking through the spec, I see that we don't support dotted
> hostname -> NT domain mapping, or domain passed in the uri's authmech,
> or any of the querystring keywords...

Yeah. When I initially wrote smb-method an earlier draft was the current
"standard". It would be nice to support more of this.

He's a time-tossed umbrella-wielding firefighter looking for a cure to the
poison coursing through his veins. She's a mentally unstable nymphomaniac
fairy princess operating on the wrong side of the law. They fight crime!