Re: getting the list of all gnome-vfs modules

Hi Christophe,

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 16:23, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Over the week end, I played with gnome-vfs/nautilus/various apps to see
>  how well non local file browsing was handled compared with local file
>  browsing. I quickly saw that it was far from working as well as I
>  wished.

	:-) great to have you working on this.

> One of the things that should be fixed is that currently an app can't
>  tell in its .application file that it uses gnome-vfs, it has to
>  explicitly tell which uris it can handle (ie ftp, http and so on). The
>  developer obviously can't know which gnome-vfs modules the user will
>  have installed on his box.

	Oh; that sucks rather.

> While browsing through gnome-vfs docs, I saw this was planned: from doc/mime-data-specification.txt
> 5. [to be implemented] all_gnome_vfs_schemes_supported: If "true", all
>    gnome-vfs schemes should be included in the set of "supported
>    schemes". Other schemes can be added by also including a
>    supported_uri_schemes key as well.
>

> So I wanted to implement that, but I was quickly stopped: I couldn't
>  find a way to know which methods are available (the modules seem to be
>  loaded on demand, and gnome-vfs never know the list of all modules).

	So you want to know that inside gnome-vfs ? if so it should be easy to
add a method that groks that information. How is this data exposed to
the real world though ? can we API compatibly export the fact that we
handle all types easily ?

	Either way - see libgnomevfs/gnome-vfs-configuration.c - you should be
able to extract all the configured modules from there.

	Regards,

		Michael.