Re: chnages in the stable release

hil

On 19 June 2011 06:27, vinit agrawal <vender007 gmail com> wrote:

> I have a question regarding patch submission on git. The latest development
> release of gnome-utils 2.91.93 require GTK+-3.0 which on my ubuntu 10.10 is
> causing some problem with nautilus. I am new to git and want to submit a
> patch in baobab to add a new feature to save/open the scan results.  anyway
> i was wondering if their is any way to submit a patch (to add a feature) on
> release version rather than development version, so that i dont have to go
> through the pain to install the new set of dependencies for gnome-utils
> 2.91.93 and gtk+-3.0.

the latest development release of gnome-utils is not 2.91.93: it is 3.1.2.

adding features to stable releases for patch submission is pointless:
you'll either have to modify the patch to apply to the latest code or
you'll have to wait for a maintainer to do that, which will decrease
the chances of actually having the patch applied.

plus, if you stay on an old distribution you won't be able to update
the dependencies using your distribution packages anyway.

if you want to submit patches you should be building from Git; to do
that, use jhbuild:

  http://live.gnome.org/Jhbuild

which is what the Gnome developers generally use.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name