Re: gruler

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 22:46 -0500, Vincent Noel wrote:
> On 11/22/05, Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au> wrote:
> > There are two uses that come to mind.
> >  1. to be able to measure things in centimetres/et al. on the screen
> >  2. to be able to line up windows on the screen
> Yeah, but who needs to do that ? Is there a typical case when someone needs
> to measure stuff on screen ? Does that occur often enough ?

My use cases all involve seismic processing. They sometimes need to
measure a number of centimetres across on a plot their viewing in some
application without built in rulers (you can't use a real ruler because
your screen may not be correctly DPI matched to provide 1-1 measurements
on and off screen).

People doing desktop publishing and other layout type things may also
find this sort of functionality useful.

The biggest use I've found for it is lining up items that need to be in
line but there is no built in features to handle it. Also to line up
windows with the new metacity edge clicking.

> I don't think I've ever needed this kind of functionality, so I'm just trying to
> educate myself =)

I didn't until very recently either.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA