Re: First weekly status report on GNOME Dictionary

Hi Reinout,

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 15:20 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Hi Emmanuele,
>
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
>
> >  We could provide a very simple storage for dictionary servers, with l10n
> >  support; something like the locations for the weather applet - but
> >  *much* smaller; e.g.:
>
> That is a possibility, but I'm not sure it would work out in practice.
>
> Not all languages will have their own specific dictionary servers that will be
> guaranteed online for some years to come.

This is why I was thinking about an "official" dictionary server at
gnome.org.

>  Another thing: in the case of Dutch,
> it would be better for gnome-dictionary to interface with the 'gnuvd' command
> line utility that queries the online "Van Dale" dictionary. As far as I know,
> other suitable (free) Dutch<->Dutch definition dictionaries don't exist.

Uhm, at this point the issue really become uglier.  I'm trying to
cleaning up code, but coding in special cases, depending on languages
instead of technologies, makes the clean up really impossible.

I could write an extensible system, with or without loadable runtime
modules (I'd prefer without - I'm not a plugin fan); this would allow us
to support various use cases.

Kind regards,
 Emmanuele.

--