Re: First weekly status report on GNOME Dictionary

Hi Emmanuele,

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

 We could provide a very simple storage for dictionary servers, with l10n
 support; something like the locations for the weather applet - but
 *much* smaller; e.g.:

That is a possibility, but I'm not sure it would work out in practice.

Not all languages will have their own specific dictionary servers that will be guaranteed online for some years to come. Another thing: in the case of Dutch, it would be better for gnome-dictionary to interface with the 'gnuvd' command line utility that queries the online "Van Dale" dictionary. As far as I know, other suitable (free) Dutch<->Dutch definition dictionaries don't exist.

 At this point, we could have a default dictionary server for the user's
 locale, and provide a way to change that inside the preferences.

It would be a start, but as I say it may not be flexible enough.

 code base, so this could be a milestone for 2.16 instead of 2.14.  But
 it's definitely worth to look at and implement, if we can get all the
 benefits of a dictionary without having to actually use a server.

OK, thanks again for your work on this!

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen