RE: GNOME publicity & marketing

-----Original Message-----
From: gnome-uk-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:gnome-uk-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Karl Lattimer
Sent: 06 June 2007 19:27
To: gnome-uk-list gnome org
Subject: GNOME publicity & marketing

Hi All,
  If I'm jumping in, on the middle of a thread please cut me off and redirect me appropriately ;)

Recently a few of the Kent Linux User Group myself included have been putting on shows at computer fairs. It seems really impressive to 90% of the passerby what GNOME can do, and especially how _FREE_ it is!

We give away tonnes of ubuntu discs to non-linux users. So that represents growth of the user base, 50 cds translates to about 5 new users and it at the very least informs and helps educate those who are tech savvy enough as to want to know about their options.

At the last fair, a table was selling windows OEM licenses at £3 a shot, by the end of the day they reduced their price to £1 after they saw what we were giving away free, now that is competition :)

I suppose my point is this, the Linux community has been largely preaching to the converted for many years. I think we're all in agreement that using GNOME and Linux has got so good, we all want everyone to use it or at least try it because its so cool. We therefore need to start preaching to the masses. At GUADEC we have some warmup time again. Wouldn't it be sensible to use that time to invite common Joe public in to "Use the internet for free", and everyone that comes in gets a free OS and takes part in a short usability study, then give them a lolly pop as lolly pops generally make a good impression. They go away feeling good, as they got to use the internet for free, got a free OS had the whole soft sell its cool, its trendy its faster, better, easier, but most of all they have a lolly pop. We could also take the lolly pops and the CDs out to the local community and pimp it on them.

Its the simple things that make the impression, but if you consider widening the growth of GNOME its not something that's easy to do without a public forum to show off our technology in the case of microsoft they have extensive TV and internet advertising etc... They have built a brand behemoth which is difficult to compete with on their level, we can't exactly afford to advertise GNOME as a better option to the world across TV, internet or any other large broadcast medium. We must find our own ways to grow user base by extending the reach of the message to those outside of the existing community... With lolly pops :)

Anyway, that was my 2p

K,

This actually comes into one of my pet subjects, how backwards most radical/ left-wing ideas and grpups are as regards presentation and marketing. Although especially prevalent in my other interests (music and left-wing politics) in the Free Software community also there is a strong reluctance to use use the methods that corporate bodies use. Admittedly some  we would not want to use, but there is no reason why the devil should always have the best tunes.

This message has been checked for all known viruses on behalf of SunGard Vivista by MessageLabs.

http://www.messagelabs.com or Email: mailsweeper info vivista sungard com

For further information http://www.sungard.com/vivista

SunGard Vivista Limited, Marshfield, Chippenham, Wiltshire  SN14 8SR
Telephone: 08456 041999,  Fax: 08456 052999

Registered Office:  33 St Mary Axe, London EC3A 8AA.  Registered in England No. 1593831 VAT Reg No. GB 810 9546 34

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com