Re: [guadec-list] Guadec Planning Meeting Notes - 20th January 2007

Glynn Foster wrote:
> Hey,

Hi :)

> Thomas Wood wrote:
>
>> Catering
>>
>>      *  Do we include lunch with registration if possible?

I think this could be either optional with registration OR we could ask
what eating habits people have when they register if they want food and
that might help with sorting out caters (or will this be too late by
then?).

>>      *  Venue has set caterers, and is not flexible on this. We need to
>>         know what they provide and if it is suitable.
>>      *  Another possibility would be to ask a nearby hotel if they could
>>         do any catering at a reasonable cost
>>      *  Packed lunch style catering may be another option if we run out
>>         of other options.
>>      *  Lunch might only be provided during core days to keep costs down,
>>         and to allow more flexibility. There are plenty of eating places
>>         nearby ranging from cheap fast-food to supermarkets to more
>>         expensive eateries.

That sounds like a good idea.

>>      *  Lunch will be an hour and a half which should allow plenty of
>>         time for impromptu meetings and discussions.
>
> In previous years we've had trouble with catering, mostly because everyone likes
> to eat different foods (or have different religious backgrounds). Having options
> close to or at the conference venue is awesome, but might not be the best bet to
> include it as part of registration or as an official contract that we'd enter in
> IMO.

Also, is an hour and a half long enough? I would rather it was 2hrs. The
reason being that sometimes you want to meet up with people that are
elsewhere or things run on longer than you expect and 2hrs seems like a
more acceptable duration - or is it just me?

>>      * Possibility of using Spreadshirt to print t-shirts.

Could we also look into polo shirts - I have seen these a lot at other
conferences and they can be quite nice. Everyone seems to give out
t-shirts it would be nice to be different perhaps?

Also, I am quite a cup/mug collector and have many from Telephony
conferences I used to attend in my last job AND I only have ONE GNOME
mug which is some unofficial mug that someone did. This would be cool
and something a lot of people will use every day I can imagine (assuming
it doesn't break on the way back home :)

--
Regards,
Martyn