Re: Ideas Linux World Expo 2007

> I've also been thinking about ideas on what we can do at this years expo
> (if we are going).
>
> One of the ideas I think would be good is to create a GNOME
> vs/comparison poster with other desktop environments (ie. KDE) as we
> always get asked what is the difference between GNOME and KDE and why
> choose one of the other. I'm not saying we should start a flame war (as
> much fun as it would be) but there are a lot of facts that could be put
> up so that people can better make their own judgement.
>
> Like this  [2] but a bit more like this:
>
> Toolkit
>
> GNOME: GTK+ is written in C and licensed under the GNU LGPL .Bindings
> available for  C++, Perl, Ruby, Java and Python, Ada, D, Haskell,
> Pascal, PHP, Pike, Tcl and all .NET programming languages. GTK is
> developed and owned by the GNOME foundation
>
> KDE: Qt� is written in non-standard C++ and licensed under the GNU GPL,
> Proprietary licence and Trolltech plc's QPL licence (non-
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software_license>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_Public_License>copyleft free software
> license). Bindings available for Python, Ruby, PHP , Pascal, C#, Perl
> and Java. QT is developed and owned by Trolltech plc.
>
> Then we could have a comment's box like "We think that a truely free
> toolkit is important - GTK+"
>
> Good idea ? bad idea ?

sounds interesting. In fact, we could go even further and have a
"Freedom wall" in the style of the top gear "cool wall", the freedom
wall would have GTK/GNOME at the free-est end, and Microsoft at the most
evilest end, with apple lurching somewhere in the middle, and toolkits
that no one uses with tiny little pictures.

What do you think?

K,