Ubuntu en_GB translation team

I would like to clarify some matters regarding the Ubuntu en_GB translation
team. Before I continue, please read our homepage[1] to have some idea of
what we are about.

I have been responsible for much of the recent direction and effort of this
team. We recognise that most written dialects of English (especially within
the Commonwealth) differ only slightly from en_GB, and to this end we are
trying to create a unified English translation. This means that we take into
account usage in other countries as well. While we have a preference for
usage in Britain, we avoid words that are not recognised by the majority of
English speakers worldwide. In this way, an en_GB translation can benefit a
wide section of the world's population.

Take for example the debate over what to name the 'Trash'. We settled on
Deleted Items for a number of reasons, which are chronicled on our mailing
list[2]. To summarise, 'Wastebasket', 'Wastebin' and especially 'Trash' sound
foreign to many English speakers, so we sought an alternative. Google is
already using 'Deleted Items [folder]' in the UK translation for Gmail.
Following a detailed discussion, I decided to hold a poll[3] on the issue.

We definitely look forward towards working with other l10n groups, whether it
be vertically (e.g. GNOME and KDE) or horizontally (e.g. different en groups
and other distros).

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EnglishTranslation
[2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-l10n-eng/2006-August/thread.html,
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-l10n-eng/2006-August/000024.html and
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-l10n-eng/2006-August/000081.html
[3] https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-l10n-en-gb/+poll/trash-naming

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

		Communism is when everyone is a capitalist.