Translation opinions

[To the moderator - I originally sent this from the wrong address, could you cancel it?]

I've just been trying to catch up on some of the outstanding translation
work for Gnome, and keep on coming up against difficult to work
Americanisms, for example:
"The preferred place to ellipsize the string, if the progress bar does not
have enough room to display the entire string, if at all."

Every time I see the word "ellipsize" I get shivers - as it's not a word,
just turning a noun into a verb. I could be lazy and turn this into
"ellipsise", but this doesn't feel right with me.

So, the opinions I'm looking for are: should I be lazy and use a word
that'll make people think "Huh?" or should I rephrase it like:
"The preferred place to place an ellipsis into the string, if the progress
bar does not have enough room to display the entire string, if at all."
(Though to be honest I think I'd rephrase the whole sentence as it's
rather clunky, to something more like)

Or, should I raise a bug about using a word that wouldn't be easily
understood and let the maintainers fix the English?

Thoughts?

dave