Re: The header on www.uk.gnome.org

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 19:03 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 10:31 -0400, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> > I think it might be better to use a landscape, both for uniformity
> > with the rest of the site and because the Union Jack has rather
> > jingoistic overtones these days.
>
> Claim it back!

I wish we could!

I have to say, even as a dyed-in-the-wool patriot, the Union flag makes
me uncomfortable in many situations. On the current GNOME-UK header it's
pretty much ok, but if it were a better graphic I would start hearing
the theme from the Dambusters in my head, and that's not a great image.

While a landscape might be slightly unrecognisable, we are now blessed
in the UK with three architecturally brilliant, yet different,
Parliaments (& an Assembly ;). Could those be combined in a header? That
would be - to me - a nice way of tipping our hats to the home nations
without needing flags or other jingoistic icons. The Palace of
Westminster, too, is highly identifiable with our country, even if the
other buildings are less well-known outside our shores.

I think it would be great if we could use some modern imagery of the UK,
if we can make it recognisably UK and without other connotations.

Cheers,

Alex.