Re: Translation opinions

On 10 Sep 2006, at 08:30, David Lodge wrote:

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:23:35 +0100, Alex Hudson <home alexhudson com>
wrote:

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 17:12 +0100, David Lodge wrote:
Every time I see the word "ellipsize" I get shivers - as it's not a
word,
just turning a noun into a verb. I could be lazy and turn this into
"ellipsise", but this doesn't feel right with me.
Although "ellipsize" refers to a specific technical string mangling
technique, I think it would be better to use "abbreviate" or a synonym:
"truncate", perhaps.

In the end I translated it to truncate, plus I raised a bug (355232) as I feel it's a manglation for manglation's sake. (The developers are going to
hate me - I earlier raised a bug complaining about the use of the word
"got"!)

I'm not sure exactly what situation it's referring to in this case, but in general I would say "abbreviating" is probably more accurate than "truncating", as in general, "ellipsisation" needn't necessarily happen at the end of a string, which is what "truncating" suggests.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team