Re: GNOME-UK Website ideas

Glenn J. Mason wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that gnome.org revamp is getting some steam I've been playing with
> ideas for the GNOME-UK site i.e. www.uk.gnome.org.  It's in drupal
> (despite it's unsuitability for gnome.org proper) because
>
> a) it's relatively lightweight (esp. with PHPTemplate engine)
> b) requires only PHP and mysql
> c) can be made to do what (I think) we want with little effort.
>
> I've started playing with this on my site: www.glennji.com/gnome-uk and
> I'm organising hosting for it through my friend.  It's also been
> suggested that we may be able to host on gnome.org officially ... I can
> chase this up if we all agree that drupal "will do".
>
> Feedback welcome, bearing in mind that it's both proof of concept and
> work in progress.  I can give administrator privs to any who want them.

Oooh, interesting. Is that design from the new gnome.org ideas?

A few points:

* It'd probably be worth while disabling comments. I can't imagine
anyone will want to comment on the About page for example.

* Maybe the news items could just have the date as their sub-heading,
rather than "Submitted by...".

* Definitely like the fact that the planet is in the same template. :-)
Maybe we could use a dashboard for the front page and include the first
few items there too?

* I'd love it if anyone on the mailing list had write access. I've no
idea how you would even start to implement this though.

* Obviously some content aliases in drupal will allow us to have
www.uk.gnome.org/about/ etc.

Keep up the good work!

-Thomas