Re: en_GB, gimp, and erasers

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 18:36 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2006, at 18:35, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >
> > Given the possible derogatory nature of the word rubber, and the
> > fact that
> > eraser is actually a better targetted word for this, I'd say to
> > leave it as
> > "Eraser".
>
> Frankly, it's hard to imagine how anything could have more any more
> derogatory overtones than the name of the application in question
> itself!
>
> That apart, I'd be inclined to agree that "rubber" just has too much
> of a snigger-inducing connotation these days, in much the same way
> that the 'Happy GNOME' gdm theme could probably have been called the
> 'Gay GNOME' theme 20 years ago without anyone batting an eyelid...

Absolutely. 'Eraser' seems more correct to me, but that might be because
I'm used to American software that doesn't get localised for en_GB.

Also prudent, due to the aforementioned connotations of the word
'rubber'.

Which is even more irrelevant than using rubber to refer to what the
Americans call an eraser, actually.

Matthew