Re: GUADEC 2k7

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 11:45 +0100, Paul Cooper wrote:
> OK - finally got hold of bookings people at the Conservatoire. Bad
> news is that someone else booked the whole place for the 14th while we
> were away. Good news is that the 15th - 21st is still available, and
> I've provisionally booked those dates. [..]
>
> Starting on a Sunday probably isn't ideal, since you can guarantee
> there'll be no-one other than the security guard there.

To be honest, I don't think that's a problem. Conservatoire is such a
quality venue I'd prefer to have seven days there than eight days
somewhere else.

> I'd rather not waste money booking the big rooms for times when we
> won't be using them (non core days) but on the other hand I'd like the
> venue to be 'ours' and not get mixed up with other goings on -
> although world class musicians wouldn't necessarily be bad bunch to be
> mixed up with.

That's a really good point. The issue with other people using the big
rooms at the same time will be the number of people in the building,
particularly if we want to use foyer and other communal areas. I would
also think there is a potential noise issue re. intermissions.

I would at least think of booking the big rooms the day before they're
used, so that they can be decked out and any problems solved - I guess
it depends on how much stuff needs to go in there, but for example they
don't seem to have any in-built AV apart from basic speech. I would be
thinking the main hall would need a rear-projection system setting up or
something, and getting that right with the lighting could take some
tuning (eg., so people can actually clearly read the screen from the
back).

Of course, that also all depends on what the costs are.

Cheers,

Alex.