Re: GUADEC 2k7

----- Alex Hudson <home alexhudson com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 17:21 +0700, Ross Golder wrote:
> > If that's the only option, perhaps we could consider hiring a
> minibus
> > for the week, and doing shuttle runs in the morning/evening, and
> charge
> > a quid a head (or however much the petrol/hire costs break down to)
> -
> > unless there's already decent public transport that is. Just a
> thought.
>
> I'm not sure a minibus is a goer - people tend to want to travel at
> the
> same time, and a shuttle doesn't really have the required bandwidth,
> as
> it were. The main issue with public transport is that the buses aren't
> terribly visitor-friendly.

This was the issue with all public transport (in Vilanova too).

> Unless it's different now, last time I was there buses were a)
> expensive, and b) demanded exact change. If we were to expect people
> use buses, we'd have to give them very good information about what
> tickets are available, and warn them that they need change - perhaps
> even making change wardens available or something.

Yes this is a problem. One thing we/I need to investigate is if there are any 3day / week passes for the buses. This would make life easier for everyone. I'm still looking for other accomodation nearer the venue in the centre of town - Cambrian Hall is the UCE halls virtually opposite but as yet I can't work out (or find anyone who can tell me) if it is bookable over the summer (it would appear not).

Other than that the next nearest is Aston but that's a good walk / bus ride with plenty of potential for getting lost.

> This is from personal experience of being charged £2 for a short
> 8-stop
> ride into Wolverhampton, which left me feeling extremely ripped off.

I think the cost is £1 each way - at least Moseley to Broad Street is, and it's same distance, although the drivers are loathed to tell you that or help in anyway. This biggest challenge I find on bus/tram rides in new / foreign cities not only finding the right one to get on, but knowing where to get off.

Paul