Re: GUADEC 2k7

----- Thomas Wood <thos gnome org> wrote:
> Alex Hudson wrote:
>[snip]
> > Conservatoire is a different class of venue to UBrum, though, IMHO.
> If
> > there is a problem with bookings there, that would be a real shame
> :(
> >
> > The points on aircon and AV would also be better covered at
> > Conservatoire: the surroundings there are designed for people paying
> > listen to something.
> >
> Agreed.
>
> I was told not to worry too much about the possible clash with the
> Desktop Developers' Conference. We have already presented the dates to
> the board, and I haven't actually seen any dates for DDC next year.

OK - finally got hold of bookings people at the Conservatoire. Bad news is that someone else booked the whole place for the 14th while we were away. Good news is that the 15th - 21st is still available, and I've provisionally booked those dates. The person I was dealing with is away until tomorrow afternoon, so I'll give her a call then to arrange a proper meeting and start to negotiate the details. If possible I'll take photos while I'm there (if halls aren't in use).

Starting on a Sunday probably isn't ideal, since you can guarantee there'll be no-one other than the security guard there. I'll try to arrange some time in the venue the week before to test things like networking and get everyone oriented.

For those that don't know the Conservatoire you can get their brochure here: http://www.conservatoire.uce.ac.uk/pdf/halls-for-hire-brochure-PDF.pdf

The outline booking that I asked to give the quote on was to have lecture rooms 1-3 all week and the ABH, Recital Hall, and new lecture theatre for the 3 core days. The 3 big rooms would be for the main talks with the ABH hosting the keynotes, then use one of the lecture rooms as the networking room, and the other two for impromtu meetings / hacking, and the BOFs in the before and after days. I can't remember the Arena foyer space, but I might try and get that as well as the central hub / info / podcasting area. I think there is enough general hallway / foyer space for people to have random meetings etc. Given that Google, Intel, Nokia, and Fluendo all had vendor stands I need to scout and area for this I guess (probably another reason to get the arean foyer).

I'd rather not waste money booking the big rooms for times when we won't be using them (non core days) but on the other hand I'd like the venue to be 'ours' and not get mixed up with other goings on - although world class musicians wouldn't necessarily be bad bunch to be mixed up with.

Paul

--
Paul Cooper                    |  Tel: 0121 634 1620
Assistant Director             |  Fax: 0121 634 1630