Re: GUADEC 2007 in the UK?

Paul Cooper wrote:
On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 21:52 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
Bastien Nocera wrote:
[snip]
* Who is definitely willing to help organise it?

We need a definitive working group. If people would like to put their names down on a list I think it would definitely help.

I'd definitely be up for helping.
Great. And judging by the rest of the e-mail, you are in an excellent position to do so! We need someone with good contacts and information on possible venues and you seem to have that covered. The Conservatoire sounds ideal and from what you've described I can't really see any problems with it. At Reading University the halls of residence are normally vacant and hired out during holidays, and I suspect it is the same with UCE. The Internet connection problem is probably one we will find where ever we go, so it shouldn't be a deciding factor.
* Where would be suitable?

We've already basically ruled out London. I think Birmingham would be a good choice in terms of getting people there. Basically any place close to an international airport and with a University would be a suitable candidate.

I think Birmingham is a good choice in terms of big city, not too
expensive, good transport links, etc, plus we have a growing ecosystem
of FOSS companies in the West Midlands (and the premier UK FOSS event
LugRadioLive is in nearby Wolverhampton). To be more specific one venue
we investigated for a conference was the Conservatoire (i.e. music
school).
[ ... ]

I think a mini-GUADEC this year would be great. I would guess the
Foundation Board would look at that as evidence of organisational
ability. LRL would be the easy option, as more or less all we have to do
is get speakers.

Alternatively there are some smaller venues in the Birmingham area that
I could investigate, and depending on the situation we (OpenAdvantage)
might be able to help with costs. But we have plenty of other great
potential venues if we have volunteers on the ground to get is sorted;
Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Cardiff off the top of my head.
LRL is obviously the easiest option, but I suspect they may want to keep neutral on such issues (unless KDE where to do a similar thing during the weekend for example - which would be great!). Maybe we need to start a separate thread about this. I think one or two subjects such as "GNOME and it's future", "Developing with GNOME" or "Contributing to GNOME", would be of interest to quite a lot of users and developers.

-Thomas