Re: Cross symbol in the security-high icon (GNOME BZ #634940)

On 16 Nov 2010, at 00:36, Nathan Lane wrote:

> Alright, first let me preface with I am not any kind of authority for GNOME
> or GNOME themes. I'm more or less just a list listener. And now to be plain,
> this does not seem like an issue, as anybody may change any icon on their
> system at any time.

Yes they can, but they shouldn't have to.  What they see out-of-the-box is not their choice, so it behoves us to ensure that none of our default language or imagery can be construed as offensive to anyone on the grounds of race, gender, religion, or anything else for that matter.  (For anyone who's been around long enough, cf. the prolonged debate about using national flags to depict locales...)

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation Ireland Ltd.
mailto:calum benson oracle com         Solaris Desktop Team

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.