Re: A few theming-related GTK+ issues

On 29 Jul 2009, at 11:18, Robert Staudinger wrote:

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Thorsten Wilms<t_w_ freenet de> wrote:
Hi!

During my ongoing work on an SVG based theme to be realized with the
gtk-css-engine, I became aware of a number of shortcomings in GTK+.

I searched/filed reports and made mockups. Please see:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2009/07/29/gtk-issues/

Regarding "There shouldn’t be focus indication on only the current tab
of a Notebook":

When exactly should the focus indication be displayed?
 + When the keyboard focus is on the notebook tab label?
 + When the keyboard focus is inside the notebook page?
 + Always, even when the keyboard focus is e.g. in a GtkEntry outside
the notebook?

Looks like this is already covered in the bug report, but as a reminder, the purpose of the keyboard focus indicator is to show exactly where any keyboard input is going to go at that moment in time. (And also remember that focus and selection are two different things-- the selected tab, or any other selected object, need not be the same as the one that currently has focus.)

So in general:

* Only one item on the desktop should have keyboard focus at any one time, and
* Focus should only be given to items that can accept keyboard input.

So a tab in a notebook should show keyboard focus only when it's possible to interact with the tab (e.g. switch tabs, rearrange tabs, pop-up a tab's context menu if it has one), and not when any other control on the tab has focus.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team