Re: GUADEC Theming API meeting minutes

> It seems that the webkit devs tend to support custom CSS extensions,
> while Robert O'Callahan of gecko argues that what can be done in SVG
> should not be duplicated in CSS [3], look at the comments.

I am only slightly worried about the markup, it's definitely not very
easy to read. Do you suggest things like masks to be created as
external files in, say, inkscape and then referenced in the
stylesheet? But let's get back to real life use cases.

Where one would use RGBA gradients would be creating a tab that fades
away to the background at the bottom (the background could have a
texture like brushed metal or simply a gradient that goes horizontally
for example). Suppose we would have corner rounding that clips the
background image. We could use an SVG background image which defines
the fill of the tab, but we keep having a problem with the stroke
(border). Unless it's possible to do those with gradients, you can't
use a border in this case. Having both fill and stroke in the
background SVG doesn't seem to work either because depending on the
tab size, the rounded corners would get stretched. How would this case
be solvable without RGBA gradients?

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac gmail com>