Re: GUADEC Theming API meeting minutes

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Jakub Steiner <jimmac gmail com> wrote:
>>Screenshot: http://www.gnome.org/~robsta/gtk-css-engine/01-first-roundtrip.png
>
> Oooooh, aaaaaah! You are making me all excited here. Good stuff, rob.
>
> As for the CSS subset, we only briefly discussed the few cases where I
> think we may need a little more than what CSS2 provides:

I am not planning to only support a strict CSS2 subset.

> * background gradients with RGBA colors [1]
> * scaled bitmap/svg backgrounds (as oposed to CSS tiles).

Can you think of anything that can't be supported through what's
proposed by the CSS3 backgrounds standard [2], especially when
supporting SVGs as images?

> * border-radius (proposed for CSS3). gotta have rounded corners.

That's definitely part of the short-term plans.

> Really looking forward to this.
>
> [1] As seen in Qt4
> (http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/stylesheet-reference.html). Webkit is
> also doing something similar --
> http://webkit.org/blog/175/introducing-css-gradients/

It seems that the webkit devs tend to support custom CSS extensions,
while Robert O'Callahan of gecko argues that what can be done in SVG
should not be duplicated in CSS [3], look at the comments.

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/
[3] http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2008/06/applying_svg_ef.html

- Rob