Re: Applying the GPL to Artwork

Thomas Wood wrote:
On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 10:32 +0200, Stephan Arts wrote:
On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Thomas Wood <thos gnome org> wrote:
[...]
 I think Jakub tried to clear this up. Basically, I was trying to say if
 your non-GPL application references an icon that is clearly from a GPL
 theme without providing the icon itself, then this could be considered a
 violation. I could argue that using any gnome-* icon name indicates a
 reliance on the GNOME icon theme, which is GPL (almost all themes use
 this as a fallback).

 Does this make sense?
Not at all, if the icon is bundled with the software, then yes.

But there is no way any developer can figure out if the icon-theme in
question is GPL-ed or not. And calling the use of an icon-name (a
convention to make sure the same 'type' of icon is used across
applications) a violation of the GPL?!

That's rediculous.

Well, I'm quite happy to scrap that idea if it's what people want.
However, I believe the gnome-* convention is only specified in Nautilus
source code, which is GPL. So either way, if you specify a gnome-* icon
name in your non-GPL application and don't supply a non-GPL icon, it
seems fairly obvious you have copied some GPL code to get it to work?

Are you saying it is fairly obvious that I have copied
GPL-ed Nautilus code into my LGPL-ed code, violating
GPL and whatnot?

Yevgen