Re: GTK+ Theming improvements

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:12:50PM +0100, Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:

> This is very interesting. IMO the programmer shouldn't need to worry
> about UI design or things like the HIG. If there was a means by witch
> the programmer could specify the actions and associated data (the
> semantics) then another layer could apply a style sheet to it to
> generate the interface. Maybe there should be two types of style sheets,
> one specific to the program (analogous to a glade file) and a general
> one which would encompass what we today call a theme and which could
> enforce the HIG.

Well, the programmer shouldn't have to worry about the exact HIG
comformant layout, but that's not all the HIG is about. A while ago it
was said that current spacing is a bit large and that it should be
reconsidered. But imagine how long it will take until it's updated in every
single app (even just those that really do follow the guideline). I wish it
was just a bunch of rules in a CSS (or similar) file.

I've been wondering if widgets could or should be handled in a more
abstract level. Say you don't specify a button or a checkbox, but rather
an action or a non-exclusive option.

This should be interesting for accessibility, scripting and
shortcuts/gestures.

The decision if a bunch of radio buttons or a drop-down box is more
appropiate could happen on the next level.

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Design for Free Software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com