Re: Gtk theme engine questions

On Sat, 2007-24-03 at 19:32 -0700, Eric Matthews wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems this mailing list is pretty quiet, but hopefully someone
> reads this who can answer my questions or help point me in the right
> direction.
>
> I've been working on a gtk theme engine for a while, and while it's
> nearing completion, there are three more things I would like to theme
> if possible:
>
> 1. Gnome panel background
> Many themes use an image for the panel background, but I would like to
> take advantage of theming the panel in the theme engine itself so that
> the background can scale appropriately to the panel size.  However, I
> haven't been able to figure out how this can be done or if it can be
> done, if anyone knows anything  about how or if this is possible
> please let me know.

Unfortunately it is not possible. The panel needs some changes for this
to work. I don't remember the details though.

> 2. GtkColorButton color rectangle
> Is it possible to theme the colour rectangle portion of a
> GtkColorButton (ie the part that is drawn in the GtkDrawingArea)?
> What I would like to do is draw a squiggly line like someone would
> draw to test the colour of a crayon or coloured pencil.  Now if it's
> not possible to change the content that is drawn on the GtkDrawingArea
> is it possible to prevent/hide the drawing of the GtkDrawingArea?  In
> which case I can cheat and draw the colour sample on the button or
> frame instead.  A little mockup to help my explanation is at:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ECHM2007/GtkTheme

Nope. All you can change in a sane way is the shadow around the sample.
You would need to do bad hacks like hiding the drawing area from the
engine. Also, keep in mind that the colour button needs to handle alpha
values correctly.

> 3. Gnome panel window list buttons
> For the wnck tasklist, what I would like to know is:   if given the
> button that is drawn, for its window can we find out whether that
> window is minimized?  That way I can draw the buttons for minimized
> windows differently.

I don't think there is a (sane) way to achieve this. (Look for the '[]'
in the label? eek)

> Any help with these questions would be appreciated.
> Some screenshots are available at
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/ECHM2007/GtkTheme
>
> that show the current appearance of the theme for general interest
> (and in the hope of getting a few early testers).  If anyone is
> interested in helping, by providing some feedback of any kind
> (appearance, bugs, performance, etc.), let me know and I can send you
> the theme for testing.

Benjamin