Re: The GNOME logo: Tango Guidelines vs. Logo Guidelines

Luca Ferretti wrote:
The "start-here" icon in g-i-t don't follow guidelines for GNOME foot
logo[1]:

        "Elements such as outlines, reflections, drop shadows, etc. also
        may not be added to it."
"The GNOME foot's fill color may be modified (preferably to
        colors in the GNOME palette.) Patterns appropriate to the
        subject matter of the subproject (e.g., a globe pattern for the
        translation team) may be used to fill the GNOME foot logo."

This means that the "start-here" icons shouldn't add the light outline,
and the gradient used to fill it could be inopportune.

But we need both outline and gradient to make icon readable on screen:
the outline, particularly, is useful to distinguish the icon on dark
background (see [2]). So, we can't follow Tango guidelines to produce a
GNOME logo icon.

Could we propose an amendment to logo guidelines? It could be a good
topic for GUADEC.
Hi Luca!
Sounds a bit anal to me.
The first icon guidelines is for (small) interface elements and the logo guidelines are more for print and web.
As long as it's fair use, I don't see any harm.
Are you coming to GUADEC btw? I totally owe you a beer!
- Andreas