Re: Gnome-themes releases and HighContrast-SVG

On 3 Oct 2006, at 15:42, Luca Ferretti wrote:

First: I've some new or updated files ready to import. Can I commit them
or it's better branch and add new stuff only in HEAD?

Historically I've only tended to update icons on a stable branch if they were particularly bad, just plain wrong, or (in the case of icons that are prominently-positioned on the desktop or in an application) missing altogether.

So, I guess we should probably branch, and put new your new and updated icons on HEAD. I'd be happy enough for you to fix any placeholder icons in the stable branch after that, either by removing them or replacing them with a proper icon.

Sound reasonable?

Second: currently there are some "placeholders" (a.k.a Big, Red Dot) in
HighContrast-SVG. Those icons are really useful in development phase,
quickly showing missing images in theme. But now are really odd in
stable release.

Yeah, Thomas and I briefly discussed what to do about the SVG theme for the stable release a couple of months ago, for this very reason. But we forgot to actually make a decision (either that or I forgot we'd made one), and then I went on holiday for a month and dumped the release duties in his capable-but-overworked hands. So I guess that's largely my fault :/

I'll remove them from build in the next days and I hope

1. that someone could create a new release of gnome-themes package
        after this fix (I'll notify here on list)

I'm sure we can manage that.

     2. that someone could help me to setup a rule in Makefile.am like
        this

        ready_ICONS=               \
        	folder.svg	   \
        	folder-remote.svg  \
        	folder-visiting.svg

        placeholder_ICONS=      \
        	new-folder.svg	\
        	new-document.svg

        IF $version IS_UNSTABLE THEN
        	data_ICONS= 		 \
        		ready_ICONS 	 \
        		placeholder_ICONS
        ELSE
        	data_ICONS= ready_ICONS

So placeholder should be installed only if the packace is unstable
version (x.17.x x.19.x ...). Can we do something like this in
Makefile.am?

Sounds plausible, but I'm no build guru so somebody else will have to comment on the suitability of that solution...

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team