Re: UI Review

2006/2/11, Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au>:
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:45:49PM +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:

> The cairo version of clearlooks could definitely be made to look more
> like the original version, but I doubt there would be much improvement
> in speed if that is what you are looking for.

The speed issues seem less noticable after some workarounds in GTK+
it seems.

> We could definitely ship a different gtkrc for the default theme, but we
> might have to rename the theme, as it would clash with the default
> clearlooks theme. Having said that, perhaps the new look could be given
> a new name instead. Adding Richard to CC for his input (not sure if
> you're on gnome-themes-list already?).

Excellent. This is basically what I had in mind. In the past, I
noticed there was "Clearlooks" in the main selection, and in the
details selection there was "Clearlooks", "Clearlooks-Blue", etc.

Perhaps the default theme that appears as Clearlooks could have
similar colours, scrollbars (with those little indents) as the
2.12 Clearlooks had, but keeping the nicer curves and gradients. The
new "gloss" gtkrc could be available in the menu just like
"Clearlooks-Green" used to be.

I've always been willing to revert the colorscheme back to the old one, if people showed concerns with the new version. In this case, I'd like to add another colorscheme to the gnome-themes packages, in addition to the various Clearlooks color schemes we've already got.

Also, when I started the new cairo version, I've been meaning to make it mostly backwards compatible in terms of looks. Not everything is done yet though, because of serious lack of time.

I can't promise that I'm able to finish it in time, at least not up to the state that I wanted it in. If you guys really insist, then I'll work on making Clearlooks look as much like the old one as possible, at least with the themes that it comes with by default.

There are still some serious bugs wrt RTL layouts, that NEED to be fixed. A few patches to fix this would be very welcome ;)

Kind regards,
Richard Stellingwerff.

Kind regards,
Richard Stellingwerff.