Re: UI Review

Em Sex, 2006-02-10 às 21:45 +0000, Thomas Wood escreveu:
> Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 05:00:14PM +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> >
> >> There has been a general objection to the new 'glossy' look, and it
> >> would be possible to revert it. However, I haven't done so since I
> >> thought we were in the UI freeze, and changes to the default theme would
> >> probably not be welcome unless they where major usability issues or such
> >> like. I would really welcome more input from people on this subject -
> >> but please, on the correct list! If you'd like to discuss theme issues,
> >> please do so on gnome-themes-list. I would be glad if we had a few
> >> usability people on the list too.
> >
> > I think a case can be made here to use the same look and feel as we
> > did for the last release. One of the reasons for UI freeze is
> > because we have to do a lot of screenshots for documentation. This
> > would stop a lot of the work being required.
> >
> > In addition, since there was the possible requirement of having to
> > revert to a pre-Cairo version of gtk-engines for speed reasons: I
> > don't know how many screenshots have been done using the new theme.
> >
> > Perhaps a theme file for the more subdued Clearlooks we're used to
> > (but with the lovely smoothed corners and gradients) can be prepared
> > and then the release team can make a decision?
>
> The cairo version of clearlooks could definitely be made to look more
> like the original version, but I doubt there would be much improvement
> in speed if that is what you are looking for.
>
> We could definitely ship a different gtkrc for the default theme, but we
> might have to rename the theme, as it would clash with the default
> clearlooks theme. Having said that, perhaps the new look could be given
> a new name instead. Adding Richard to CC for his input (not sure if
> you're on gnome-themes-list already?).

To be honest I love the new theme and would be sad to see it go at this
point in the release cycle. Maybe Clearlooks-classic could be created in
gnome-themes?

Unless of course a lot of people don't like the new Clearlooks, but from
the feedback in GNOME 2.13 I don't think that's the case.

Another issue is that the metacity theme wasn't updated to Clearlooks 2,
which is a much better match for the new Clearlooks gtk+ theme. How
about:

1) Update the "Clearlooks" metacity theme to Clearlooks 2. If it's worth
anything it seems Red Hat is doing this;

2) Create Clearlooks-classic gtk and metacity themes, and a "Classic"
metatheme to go with them.

Cheers,
Evandro