Re: RSS icon

Il giorno dom, 04/12/2005 alle 16.03 -0500, Rodney Dawes ha scritto:
> On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 09:37 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> > On 26 Nov 2005, at 7:06 pm, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> >
> > > Could we need a RSS icon in gnome-icon-theme?
> > >
> > > OK, it's just a GNOME style version of Firefox RSS icon, but it's
> > > clean...
> > >
> > > PS a 16x16 version will come.
> >

> > This is a nice icon, but don't we already have a stock_channels icon
> > that could be used for this purpose? Where do you see this icon being
> > used?
>
> The "stock_channels" icon in gnome-icon-theme is more generic and was
> originally meant for the channels in Red Carpet, which you install
> software from. RSS is much more specific.

Yeah, see Rhythmbox. The stock_channels can be used for Internet Radios,
the rss icons may be used for Podcasts

>  The icon is fine, but I am
> not sure what it's place is, in terms of the icon theme, or in software.
> It would make a nice replacement for the Firefox version, in the
> Industrial theme for Firefox maybe, if it were ported to work on 1.5 as
> well as 1.0.

Well, IMHO a RSS icon should be available in the icon theme. This icon
could be used in web browsers, RSS readers and so on (see [1], [2] and
[3]), so it should be a "global" icon, installed by fallback icon theme,
not by single applications.

About the "common browser platform" and RSS icons:
[1] http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=12991
[2] http://blogs.msdn.com/rssteam/archive/2005/12/14/503778.aspx
[3] http://blogs.msdn.com/rssteam/archive/2005/12/16/504512.aspx

PS I still have to read all comments :-)

> I want to reduce the number of icons in gnome-icon-theme at this point,
> not add more. We already have a lot of duplication, and I want to start
> getting people migrated to the new naming spec.

Of course I agree is not a smart idea add this in gnome-icon-theme now
calling, for example, gnome-rss-feed. Here is yet a name in
icon-naming-standard?