Re: background tiles

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 13:51, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> On gio, 2003-09-11 at 14:57 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 13:45, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> > > I belive we need a tool to "preview" them usig a bg color, but it needs
> > > a lot of code.
> >
> > The rewrite I'm currently doing of the wallpaper cappplet will generate
> > thumbnails by compositing a pixbuf of the wallpaper thumbnail, over top
> > the pixbuf of the background color(s).
> >

> This is a good idea, but, following a Calumn's idea, I don't think that
> a desktop background only tool is a good idea.

So, you want the thing with all the tabs that was confusing people,
because I was only taking a screenshot of the wallpapers tab, and
people were complaining about that? Make up your mind.

> First I hope d-bd management will be preformed via themes. But just as
> basic feature ("Apply this suggested bg?").

Uhm. "Suggestions" in themes is overly redundant and a waste. It's a
theme. It provides a uniform look for the desktop. Icons and the images
for wallpaper and splash screen go hand in hand, because that's where
the icons are being displayed. So, the splash image and wallpaper should
be a "suggestion" by being part of the icon theme. Not to say that they
couldn't be changed by the user. It would be stupid if you couldn't.

> Second I belive that, 'cause desktop is just a special folder (note that
> you have ~/Desktop now), it should be managed using the same (or at
> least similar) UI then normal folder.
>
> [ BTW do the ~/Desktop folder bg in nautilus have to be the same then
> desktop one? ]

~/Desktop is a very special case. We need to just disavow home, and hide
it from the user. Not to say that we couldn't use a lot of cleanup for
the rest of the stuff, but it's just overly redundant and annoying.
I don't understand your comment about how ~/Desktop should be managed
using the same or similar UI as a normal folder. And, no, windows should
have different background images depending on what folder you have
opened. That would just get way too complicated and end up being worse.

> This was the main idea under glade mochup posted here from Sisob (or
> sisob? :-)). The second idea was to use a same backend for all bg
> setting request: something like current nautilus tool, you don't access
> directly to filesystem, but to a "bgs library".

Mark just posted your "multiple tabs for the same thing" tarball of
glade mockups. What nautilus tool are you talking about? The current
gnome-background-properties has nothing to do with nautilus really,
other than it's runnable from the pop-up menu. And what is the
point of having a wallpaper library? I don't understand anything of what
is being said here about nautilus or having a library to do stuff with.

> The code to do this is already in nautilus. Just we need a better,
> eventually expandible, HIGfied UI.

Again... huh? What code? What are you talking about?

> Oh, just a personal note: I don't think we need a preview (like in
> current d-bg tool, I mean). We have autoapply! Thanks GConf.

Previews allow you to choose the background you are looking for,
much faster, without having to know the filename and all of that
extra crap. We need previews.

-- dobey