Re: status on improving the icon theme -- new and changed icons

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 15:50, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 01:58, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > Hi Luca:
> >
> > Could you email me the screenshot?  The attachment seems not to have
> > come through :-)
>
> Ehrm... Sorry, I forget it. So there are 2 shots.
>
> Notes about Application menu icons:
>       * All icons should use a shelf prospective (see HIG)

I fail to see a section in the HIG that tells that. Actually the
suggested perspective for application icons is 'table', not shelf (table
9.2). But I don't thik it rules out 'on the shelf', it's just a
reccomendation.

>       * we need a 32x32 icon for games entry, using shelf, don't table
>         prospective

Again, I fail to see why.

> Plus I think we should change icon names for application categories and
> switch, i.e., from gnome-joystick.png to gnome-category-games.png (this
> stuff is maneged in gnome-desktop/desktop-links). Unfortunately this
> change need additional work, at least duplicate some icons in
> gnome-desktop, gnome-icon-theme and gnome-themes using the proper name.

Renaming existing files is very problematic. Although I agree it would
make things a lot clearer, we'd need at least some symlink magic not to
break the old apps in the transition time.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac ximian com>