Re: Handling remotely served icons

On 31 May 2017 at 02:27, Robert Ancell <robert ancell gmail com> wrote:
b) G-S loads icons for all popular apps (even though it only shows nine of
them).

I think this is the bug, see below.

- Icons should be refined at a second stage and only when they're needed to
be displayed.

Second stage as in another call to resolve_async in the overview
panel? If so, eww.

- Icons should be able to be loaded in the background, so each app can show
when its icon is ready. We would have a spinner for icons that are loading.

I think that was an explicit anti-goal for Allan, i.e. we want to show
the loading panel until the overview is ready, rather than just show a
screen showing 30-odd spinners.

In gs_plugin_loader_process_thread_cb() we call
gs_plugin_loader_run_results() to get the list of popular apps. We
then call gs_plugin_loader_job_sorted_truncation() to restrict this to
~10 apps, then call gs_plugin_loader_run_refine() on the results. Do
you know exactly at what point we're downloading more than 9 icons?
e.g. do you have a --profile log for "./lib/gnome-software-cmd popular
--refine-flags=icon --profile" with an empty cache?

Richard.